Story image

Dell EMC muscles in on cloud infrastructure leaders HPE and Cisco

20 Mar 2017

Dell’s merger with EMC has seen it jump into top contention in the hotly contested cloud infrastructure equipment market, with the newly merged company now tied for leadership with longtime top rankers HPE and Cisco.

New data from Synergy Research Group shows all three had a market share of the market in Q4, as cloud infrastructure equipment soared past US$70 billion for the full year. Q4 revenue accounted for more than 27% of that total spend.

ODMs also accounted for 11.5% when their numbers were combined, something Synergy Research attributes to ongoing heavy investment in own-designed hardware by hyperscale cloud providers.

John Dinsdale, Synergy Research Group chief analyst and research director, says putting to side the chunk of the market now sidelined and controlled by ODMs, the rest of the market is being heavily contested by the three leading IT hardware vendors.

“While spend on cloud services and infrastructure is already huge it is still relatively early days in the transition of enterprise workloads to the cloud,” Dinsdale says.

“That means that success in the cloud infrastructure market is vitally important to IT vendors and they will be fighting long and hard to maximise their market shares.”

The latest figures show a slight decline for both HPE and Cisco. Microsoft and IBM round out the top five.

When it comes to the different types of cloud deployment, Cisco continues to dominate in the strongly growing public cloud infrastructure market, while Dell EMC gained a narrow lead over HPE in private cloud, where growth has slowed.

Synergy says public cloud growth continues to be double-digit.

Servers, operating system, storage, networking and virtualisation software combined accounted for 95% of overall Q4 cloud infrastructure market, with cloud security and cloud management accounting for the remaining 5%.

HPE has a clear lead in the cloud server segment and is a strong challenger in storage, Synergy Research says, while Cisco is dominant in networking and also has a growing server product line. Dell EMC meanwhile is the second-ranked server vendor and has a clear lead in storage.

Microsoft’s strength in server OS and virtualisation applications account for its strong showing, while Synergy says IBM maintains a strong position across a range of cloud technology markets.

GitHub launches fund to sponsor open source developers
In addition to GitHub Sponsors, GitHub is launching the GitHub Sponsors, GitHub will match all contributions up to $5,000 during a developer’s first year in GitHub Sponsors.
Check Point announces integration with Microsoft Azure
The integration of Check Point’s advanced policy enforcement capabilities with Microsoft AIP’s file classification and protection features enables enterprises to keep their business data and IP secure, irrespective of how it is shared. 
Why AI will be procurement’s greatest ally
"AI can help identify emerging suppliers, technologies and products in specific categories."
Are AI assistants teaching girls to be servants?
Have you ever interacted with a virtual assistant that has a female-based voice or look, and wondered whether there are implicitly harmful gender biases built into its code?
Google 'will do better' after G Suite passwords exposed since 2005
Fourteen years is a long time for sensitive information like usernames and passwords to be sitting ducks, unencrypted and at risk of theft and corruption.
Hackbusters! Reviewing 90 days of cybersecurity incident response cases
While there are occasionally very advanced new threats, these are massively outnumbered by common-or-garden email fraud, ransomware attacks and well-worn old exploits.
Data#3 to exclusively provide MS licences to WA Government
The technology services provider has won two contracts with the Western Australia Government, becoming its sole Microsoft licence provider.
Why cash is no longer king in Australia
Australia is leading the way in APAC for granting credit on B2B transactions.