Story image

47% of Aussie IT employees will look for new work in 2018

15 Nov 2017

The Australian IT employment market is in good stead with high confidence among recruits.

Clicks IT Recruitment conducts a quarterly survey of IT professionals to produce its IT Employment Confidence Index – which is now in its third year.

This quarter the survey was made up of 400 respondents, 99 percent of which were from people living and working in Australia, 85 percent were currently employed, with the remaining 15 percent not in employment.

Of those surveyed, 81 percent of participants indicated that they would consider new work in the next 12 months, with 47 percent indicating that they are likely to actively look for a new role.

The survey results showed strong optimistic trends across most key indices, with a record high in those that are feeling positive about current Australian economic conditions at 37 percent.

Last quarter Clicks suggested the start of a sustained period of optimism in the IT employment market; this quarter’s respondents have continued this way of thinking. The number of respondents feeling positive about current Australian economic conditions has reached the highest since Clicks commenced the Index in Q1 2015.

23 percent (for the third consecutive quarter) of IT workers assert there are ‘plenty’ of available IT jobs. Furthermore, nine in ten people feel either neutral or positive about the future of their employers while there was an eight point drop in those concerned about losing their job in the year ahead.

And Clicks says they can validate these sentiments in the industry, as the recruitment company is experiencing high levels of activity in IT market right now. There has been a significant increase in demand for both contract and, in particular, permanent recruitment services.

Clicks says this time of year would typically see businesses entering a ‘go-slow’ mentality to see out the end of the year. However, the company’s clients are continuing to demonstrate strong growth across all sectors.

Managing director of Clicks, Ben Wood says this sends a strong message to the tech workforce that there is a steady flow of good jobs for strong applicants, while employers can feel confident that the best people are willing to consider a move, even this close to Christmas.

"You may find that hiring now will actually be more advantageous, or you may hire now with a deferred start date in the New Year,” says Wood.

Check Point announces integration with Microsoft Azure
The integration of Check Point’s advanced policy enforcement capabilities with Microsoft AIP’s file classification and protection features enables enterprises to keep their business data and IP secure, irrespective of how it is shared. 
Why AI will be procurement’s greatest ally
"AI can help identify emerging suppliers, technologies and products in specific categories."
Are AI assistants teaching girls to be servants?
Have you ever interacted with a virtual assistant that has a female-based voice or look, and wondered whether there are implicitly harmful gender biases built into its code?
Google 'will do better' after G Suite passwords exposed since 2005
Fourteen years is a long time for sensitive information like usernames and passwords to be sitting ducks, unencrypted and at risk of theft and corruption.
Hackbusters! Reviewing 90 days of cybersecurity incident response cases
While there are occasionally very advanced new threats, these are massively outnumbered by common-or-garden email fraud, ransomware attacks and well-worn old exploits.
Data#3 to exclusively provide MS licences to WA Government
The technology services provider has won two contracts with the Western Australia Government, becoming its sole Microsoft licence provider.
Why cash is no longer king in Australia
Australia is leading the way in APAC for granting credit on B2B transactions.
Informatics deepens integration with Google Cloud
The data management company has connected its solutions with Google Cloud’s big data analytics solutions.