The majority of employees choose Apple's Mac and iPhone to do their work, thanks to greater ease of use and familiarity, according to a new survey from JAMF Software.
Defined as giving employees the freedom to choose among brands of computer hardware and/or mobile devices for work, employee choice programmes have gained prominence in the modern business landscape, according to JAMF.
In fact, more than half (61%) of survey respondents say their company has implemented a choice programme, which can include employer-owned devices, BYOD (bring your own device), or both. The survey found 80% of respondents think they should become a standard in business.
Overwhelmingly, when given the choice employees prefer Apple, the survey found. Respondents attribute Apple's ease of use as the number one reason for selecting Mac (75%) and iOS (79%) as their work device of choice.
More and more employees choose Apple devices for work because Apple is what they prefer in their everyday lives, the survey finds.
The survey also reveals a generation gap in computer choice. Employees between the ages of 18 and 54 overwhelmingly choose Mac, while those 55 and over are more comfortable using PCs.
However, when given a mobile device choice, nearly 80% of all age groups select iOS compared to just 18% who choose Android. Regardless of age, when employees are given the technology they want, employers are rewarded with more productive and appreciative employees, according to the survey.
Summary of key survey findings:
- 61% of respondents say their company has a choice programme
- 79% choose iOS as their mobile device operating system of choice, with 'ease of use' cited as the top reason (41%)
- 75% choose Mac over PC, with ‘ease of use' cited as the top reason for this choice (43%)
- 72% claim that the ability to select their device of choice makes them more productive in the workplace
- 73% say that choice programmes are important to the well being of an organisation
- 70% of those who currently lack user choice say their organisation should give them the right to choose the device that best empowers them to do their job
“Employees today not only want - but expect - the ability to choose the devices they are most comfortable with for work,” says Dean Hager, JAMF Software CEO.
“Because Apple builds technology that puts people first, people prefer Apple. When employers combine the freedom of choice with Apple, employees are happier and are empowered to be more productive - offering a huge business advantage,” he says.