World’s first Gigabit LTE device launching in Australlia
FYI, this story is more than a year old
A huge announcement in Sydney today kicked off the world’s first Gigabit LTE device.
Delivered by NETGEAR, Qualcomm, Telstra and Ericsson, the NETGEAR Nighthawk M1 mobile router has download speeds of up to 1Gbps, which means everything customers do at home or in the office can now be done on the go.
The Nighthawk has been coined as the ‘ultimate travel companion’, providing the convenience of a mobile hotspot with the full functionality of a travel router, supporting up to 20 Wi-Fi devices on a single connection so you can securely share your mobile internet with family or co-workers while on the go, at home, when travelling for work or pleasure.
Director of device management for Telstra, Andrew Volard says the device will truly change the way we use and access the Internet.
“We’re innovating at the cutting edge of mobile broadband technology so our customers can work with greater ease on the go and access the content, services and applications they love when they’re outside the home,” says Volard.
“The Nighthawk M1 mobile router powered by Telstra offers incredibly fast data transfer speeds, a long-lasting battery, and other great features for a world class mobile experience.”
NETGEAR vice president of mobile network products, Andrew Green shares Volard’s sentiments.
“For the past 15 years, Telstra and NETGEAR have worked together to deliver the most innovative mobile broadband products for customers,” Green says.
“It offers the latest LTE and Wi-Fi technologies so you can take full advantage of ultrafast download speeds on the Telstra Mobile Network and securely share your internet connection to support media streaming, storage and so much more.”
The Nighthawk M1 has no software to install - just power on and connect. It provides a portable, instant Internet connection in a wide range of environments, and is perfect for areas that lack physical wiring such as camp sites or regional areas, or for renters on holiday or in short-term living arrangements.
The same goes for people that are constantly on the road on business trips, in a field office or on a construction site, as the Nighthawk M1 keeps you and your workmates or colleagues securely connected and productive.
Some of the key features include:
- Super fast mobile broadband Internet — up to 1Gbps download/150Mbps upload
- 4G LTE Advanced Category 16 with 4-band Carrier Aggregation
- Ethernet port and 2 USB ports (Type A and C) for media streaming from microSD, USB or external hard drive to all connected devices
- Wi-Fi/Ethernet offloading capabilities so your device connections move from the car (LTE) to your hotel’s Internet
- Always-on connection shareable with up to 20 Wi-Fi devices on-the-go
- Parental controls filter and scheduled access to online content
- 802.11ac and Dual-Band 2.4GHz/5GHz dual concurrent Wi-Fi for increased network performance and reduced interference
- Simple NETGEAR mobile app user experience to monitor data usage, manage device and network settings from an iOS or Android smartphone or tablet
- Powerful, long-lasting battery for up to 24 hours of continuous use
- Improved JumpBoost feature to charge smartphones and small portable USB devices
- Two TS-9 connectors available for optional 4G/3G antennas
The NETGEAR Nighthawk M1 will be available in February in Australia from Telstra in store and online.