Cloudian extends VMware collaboration with latest certification
Cloudian has announced its HyperStore object storage has been certified with VMware Tanzu Kubernetes Grid (TKG).
TKG is a multi-cloud Kubernetes footprint that can run both on-premises in VMware vSphere and in the public cloud on Amazon EC2 and Microsoft Azure.
HyperStore is designed to deliver enterprise-grade persistent storage for modern, cloud-native applications in TKG customers' own environments, with fully native S3 compatibility, scalability, security and agility at less cost than public cloud offerings.
According to the company, the announcement complements Cloudian's ongoing collaboration with VMware in other areas, such as enabling customers to support both modern and traditional applications from a single platform through HyperStore's interoperability with VMware Cloud Foundation.
Cloudian states, enterprises are increasingly deploying cloud-native applications on-premises to meet regulatory requirements and avoid the cost and complexity of moving large production workloads to the cloud.
These applications require a modern storage foundation that can fully support technologies such as Kubernetes, serverless computing and microservices that are key components of these environments.
However, traditional enterprise storage systems are not only difficult to provision and manage but also cannot deliver the cost-effective scalability needed, Cloudian states.
Furthermore, purpose-built container storage offerings are more agile but lack the scalability, security and durability that cloud-native production environments demand.
Responding to these issues, Cloudian states it is focused on giving VMware TKG customers a highly scalable, more secure and cost-effective enterprise storage platform with the agility and ease-of-management needed for cloud-native applications.
Key features and benefits include the following:
- Fully native S3 compatibility, enabling application portability across on-prem and public cloud environments.
- Simple API calls for high-level storage management access.
- Multi-tenancy for secure, self-managed storage within a single platform.
- Multi-cloud support with single-namespace, including out-of-the-box integration with AWS, GCP and Azure that maintains data in its native format.
- Enterprise-grade security, including data immutability for ransomware protection, encryption for data in flight and at rest, integrated firewall, RBAC/IAM and SAML access controls, and certification with regulatory requirements, such as Common Criteria, FIPS and NIST 800-88.
- Cost savings from consolidating traditional and modern workloads on the same platform, thereby eliminating infrastructure silos and capitalising on common skills and training.
VMware senior vice president and general manager of Modern Applications and Management Business Group Ajay Patel says, “As enterprises increasingly deploy applications of all kinds across both public and private clouds, they want a consistent operational model.
"With its native S3 compatibility, exabyte scalability and robust security, Cloudian HyperStore object storage provides a strong modern storage foundation for our Tanzu Kubernetes Grid customers.
Cloudian chief marketing officer Jon Toor says, “Object storage has emerged as a key enabler for modern applications, helping organisations extract greater value from their digital assets to meet their business or mission objectives.
"Through our close collaboration with VMware over the past year, we've been able to extend the data management and protection benefits of our award-winning object storage platform to a broader range of customers and use cases.